In 1898 John N. Coffey (1847-1919) and John Schwalm (1825-1900) deeded this site for a community tabernacle. Townspeople donated labor and material to erect this open air shelter and to rebuild it after damage from a 1909 cyclone that devastated Zephyr. Many towns in Texas once had tabernacles like this for summer church revivals, political rallies, and social event. The Zephyr home demonstration club led community restoration of this structure in 1976.
Return to Historical Markers
Return to Historical Commission Home Page