Location:  Burnet Road 45, N of intersection with Morris Sheppard Dr. 
In front of Log Cabin near Havins Prison Unit.

Prisoners of War at Camp Bowie

During World War II, Camp Bowie housed several thousand German prisoners of war. The first arrivals, many of whom were troops from General Rommel's division in North Africa, came in 1943. The U.S. Army allowed the prisoners to write and receive letters and to take classes in the morning, including English, forestry, metal work, radio, bookkeeping and law. They listened to lectures and music at night. The prisoners also worked on a farm outside the compound, and many remained in contact with local farmers after the war, some even later returning to visit. The U.S. government closed Camp Bowie in 1945, but it was not until June 1946 that all German prisoners were returned home. (2006)

Return to Historical Markers