Location:  Corner of Beaver St. and Cordell St., Brownwood
.
LEE CHAPEL A.M.E. CHURCH

NAMED FOR BISHOP BENJAMIN
FRANKLIN LEE (1841-1926), LEE CHAPEL
AFRICAN METHODIST EPISCOPAL
CHURCH WAS ORGANIZED IN 1888.
LED BY THE REV. GEORGE E. SMITH,
WHO ALSO ORGANIZED THE FIRST 
SCHOOL FOR BLACKS IN BROWNWOOD,
THE CONGREGATION FIRST HELD
WORSHIP SERVICES IN MT. ZION
BAPTIST CHURCH.  LATER SERVICES
WERE HELD IN A BRUSH ARBOR AT
SMITH'S HOME.  THE FIRST CHURCH
BUILDING, ORIGINALLY LOCATED AT
CORDELL AND HENDERICK STREETS,
WAS MOVED TO THIS SITE IN 1906.
AN INTEGRAL PART OF THE CITY'S
HISTORY, LEE CHAPEL A.M.E. CHURCH
CONTINUES TO SERVE ITS COMMUNITY.
(1989)

Return to Historical Markers
Return to Historical Commission Home Page