Location:  Hall St. across from Cordell Park
.
HARDIN SCHOOL

   THIS BUILDING AT ALMOND AND HALL WAS ORGANIZED AS THE FIRST SCHOOL FOR BLACKS.  IN THE LATE 1800'S PROFESSOR R. F. HARDIN WAS HIRED AS A TEACHER, AND EVENTUALLY BECAME THE HEAD OF THE SCHOOL.  HE REMAINED IN THIS CAPACITY FOR SOME 50 YEARS.
   IN 1915 THE ORIGINAL STRUCTURE BURNED AND THE PRESENT BUILDING WAS ERECTED.  WHEN THIS  BUILDING WAS COMPLETED THE NUMBER OF GRADES WAS INCREASED FROM 8 TO 12, AND SO IT BECAME THE ONLY HIGH SCHOOL IN A 90 MILE RADIUS FOR BLACK CHILDREN.
   UNTIL 1940 THE SCHOOL WAS KNOW AS THE COLORED HIGH SCHOOL, THEN THE NAME WAS CHANGED TO R. F. HARDIN.
1955 WAS THE DATE THAT INTEGRATION WAS BEGUN AND BY THE 1960'S COMPLETE INTEGRATION WAS BROUGHT ABOUT.
   TODAY THE SCHOOL IS VACANT AND FUNDS ARE BEING RAISED TO CONVERT THE BUILDING INTO THE HARDIN MUSEUM OF BROWNWOOD.

Return to Historical Markers
Return to Historical Commission Home Page