The Greenleaf Cemetery was established in 1868. Greenleaf Fisk gave five acres to the town for a burial place, and two and one half acres each the Pecan Valley IOOF Lodge No. 236, October 26, 1883, and to the Brownwood Masonic Lodge No. 141 AF and AM, December 3, 1883, making a total of ten acres for burial purposes. There has been four additions to the cemetery since then and now has over 18,000 burials. A section was set aside in 1958 for members of the Catholic denomination. The cemetery was named Round Mountain and later renamed Greenleaf. The Brownwood Garden Club built the present entrance. During 1918 they averaged about four burials a day due to the flu epidemic. At this time they had four crews digging day and night.
The Greenleaf Cemetery Association was incorporated April 10, 1923 The Greenleaf Cemetery is a non-profit perpetual care cemetery. Its governing body consists of five board members, elected by members of the Greenleaf Cemetery Association. The cemetery is located off Highway 377 South (Brady Highway) across the railroad tracks within the city limits of Brownwood.
are many famous families buried within the cemetery including Greenleaf
himself. Here are a few of those buried there and their tombstones.
Robert E. Howard, Author and Poet - Famous author in the early 1930's. Creator of Conan the Barbarian and other writings.
C. M. Grady - A Texas Ranger, stationed at Old Camp Colorado, about
4 or 5 miles southwest of Santa Anna Mountain.
Henry Ford - In 1886, Ford borrowed $10,000,000 from a bank in Fort
Worth to loan to farmers during a drought. The farmers made good
and he was repaid all but $2.50
Noah T. Byars - A Baptist minister, aiding in the organizing several Baptist churches in Brown County. He came to Texas in 1835 and opened a blacksmith and gunsmith shop at Washington-on-the Brazos. The governor of Texas asked permission to hold a special meeting in Byar's shop which was the largest building in the area. It was in his crude blacksmith shop on March 2, 1836, that the Texas Declaration of Independence was signed.
He was Armorer of Sam Houston's in 1836 for two months. He became
a Baptist missionary in 1842. He founded the First Baptist Church
in Brownwood in 1876 and lived there until his death in 1888. and was the
Sergeant at Arms of the Senate of the Republic of Texas from 1837
to 1841. He is buried in the Masonic section which he donated.
The local chapter of the United Confederate Veterans placed these sandstone
markers at most of the Confederate soldiers that were buried in Greenleaf
Cemetery. The ex-confederates from this area formed the Stonewall
Jackson Camp of Confederate Veterans. To their regular meetings,
the members wore the old gray uniforms of the Confederacy.
The "Firsts" of Greenleaf Cemetery
Emma Adams - The first recorded grave in the cemetery.
Died in 1873
Return to Cemeteries