CROSS CUT CEMETERY
Mrs. Caroline Pentecost Elsberry was the first
person buried here, in 1897. In September 1898 a warranty deed from
Mr. M. N. Pentecost and wife Sarah to Kellett-Chatman Machinery Company
to transfer Ownership of 80 acres, with a two acre notch removed. This
two acre notch was for the Cemetery. This deed can be found in the Brown
County Courthouse. Abst 898 of the W.B. Travis Survey.
Cross Cut first store opened in 1878, by Mr
John M. Bloodworth. They first decided to name the town "Cross Out", because
it was "way cross the country," and "out of the way." However, The
Postal Department either misread the name or made a typo error. From that
day forward the name was called "Cross Cut."
Return to Cemeteries Home
Return to Brownwood Historical
Commission Home Page
Return to Brown County History