Location:  At entrance of Camp Bowie Memorial Park
(at site of old Camp Bowie), in Brownwood
.
SITE OF WORLD WAR II
CAMP BOWIE 

   HUGE WORLD WAR II TRAINING BASE,
CAMP BOWIE WAS A HOME OF THE
"TEXAS" 36TH DIVISION AND TRAINED
MANY OTHER UNITS, INCLUDING THE
"DIXIE" 31ST,4TH,AND 13TH ARMORED;
AND 113TH CAVALRY.  IT WAS ALSO
SEVENTH HEADQUARTERS  OF SPECIAL
TROOPS, FOURTH ARMY. HE RE , TOO, GEN.
WALTER KRUEGER WAS COMMANDER OF
THE VIII CORPS AREA TROOPS. THE
CAMP HAD A CAPACITY OF 45,000.
   COMMANDERS WERE COL. K. L. BERRY,
GEN. C .V .BIRKHEAD, COL. F. E. BONNEY,
COL. A. G. BROWN, AND COL. K. F. HANST.
   CAMP OPERATED SEPT. 1940 TO 1946,
WHEN 45TH DIV. WAS DEACTIVATED.
IT WAS NAMED FOR JAMES BOWIE,
HERO OF THE ALAMO S1EGE,1836. 

(1968)

Return to Historical Markers
Return to Historical Commission Home Page