Location:  1320 Austin Ave., Brownwood
.
 
DANIEL BAKER COLLEGE

   AFFILIATED WITH THE PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH AND NAMED
FOR EARLY TEXAS CIRCUIT-RIDING MINISTER DANIEL BAKER
(1791-1857), THIS INSTITUTION WS FOUNDED IN 1888 BY
THE REV. BRAINARD TAYLOR McCLELLAND (1845-1901).  tHE
COLLEGE OFFICIALLY WAS CHARTERED ON APRIL 5, 1889.
McCLELLAND, UNDER WHOSE LEADERSHIP BROWNWOOD'S
FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH WAS FOUNDED IN 1876, SERVED
AS THE COLLEGE'S FIRST PRESIDENT.  HIS WIFE, SUSAN MARY
SMITH McCLELLAND, WAS A MEMBER OF THE COLLEGE
FACULTY AND ASSUMED A LEADERSHIP ROLE FOR TWO
YEARS FOLLOWING HER HUSBAND'S DEATH.  LAND FOR THE
COLLEGE CAMPUS WAS DONATED BY BROTHERS SAMUEL R.
AND MODIE J. COGGIN.
   THE FIRST CLASS OF DANIEL BAKER GRADUATES, CONSISTING
OF EIGHT STUDENTS, RECEIVED DIPLOMAS IN MAY 1895.
IN ADDITION TO ACADEMIC INSTRUCTION, THE COLLEGE ALSO
FEATURED AN ACTIVE SPORTS PROGRAM, WITH FOOTBALL,
BASEBALL, TRACK, AND BASKETBALL TEAMS.
   PLAGUES WITH FINANCIAL PROBLEMS THROUGHOUT ITS
HISTORY, THE COLLEGE WAS BRIEFLY AFFILIATED WITH THE
METHODIST AND EPISCOPAL DENOMINATIONS.  FINALLY, IN 1953,
IT WAS CONSOLIDATED WITH HOWARD PAYNE COLLEGE, A
BAPTIST SCHOOL ALSO LOCATED IN BROWNWOOD.
(1992)

Return to Historical Markers
Return to Historical Commission Home Page