Location:  3102 Coggin Ave., Brownwood
Adams-Shaw House
.

ADAMS-SHAW HOUSE

THIS HOUSE WAS ERECTED ABOUT
1876 FOR GEORGE H. ADAMS (1842 - 192 0), A
RANCHER AND FORMER TEXAS RANGER,
WHOSE CATTLE BRAND WAS CARVED
INTO THE FRONT STEP.  ENGLISH-BORN
STONEMASON WILLIAM FREDERICK MORTON
(1851- 192 6) BUILT IT OF SANDSTONE
QUARRIED IN NEARBY WILLIS CREEK.  THE
STRUCTURE WAS PURCHASED IN 1908
BY LAURA (1944) AND COLIN McKEEVER
SHAW (1850-1944).  IT WAS RESTORED AND
ENLARGED AFTER 1945 BY THEIR SON,
NEIL K.SHAW (1901-1969), AND HIS WIFE,
MAUD DABNEY SHAW.

RECORDED TEXAS HISTORIC LANDMARK - 1975

(BW Photo taken from 1979 Calendar by Southwest State Bank, Brownwood)
Return to Historical Markers
Return to Historical Commission Home Page